USA for UNHCR seeks a passionate, dynamic, and experienced Senior Director Partnerships who will play a key role in engaging in new, innovative partnerships, while maintaining deep and meaningful ties with the organization’s long-standing generous donors. In concert with the Executive Director, the Senior Director will design, articulate, and implement a comprehensive partnership-building strategy for the organization. This individual will fully explore USA for UNHCR’s fundraising potential, with the understanding that fundraising will play a vital role in the organization’s ability to increase its impact.
The Senior Director will manage an experienced development team charged with developing new and creative approaches to increase major donors and planned giving, and ensure ongoing philanthropic support from foundations and corporations.
The Senior Director is a member of the Cross Functional Team (CFT) and works closely with the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), members of the board and senior staff. It is envisaged that this position is based in USA for UNHCR’s New York City Office with frequent domestic travel throughout the United States, including USA for UNHCR’s Washington, DC headquarters.
The ideal candidate is passionate about USA for UNHCR’s mission, has a strong personal commitment to human rights issues, and understands how to successfully build and engage a membership constituency and synchronize fundraising initiatives with the core mission of the organization. Such an affinity for USA for UNHCR’s mission will be essential in successfully developing a vision for the partnerships program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Partner with the Executive Director and senior staff to establish priorities and strategies for USA for UNHCR goals and objectives, implementing a comprehensive and strategic Partnerships and Major Gifts and Planned Giving plan aimed at supporting the organization’s mission and activities, building upon the strengths of existing development efforts, and aggressively pursuing new opportunities for funding and engagement.
• Provide strategic leadership for aggressive plans to raise over $100+ Million by 2023
• Oversee a staff in the areas of major gifts, planned giving and corporate and foundations.
• Provide dynamic and innovative leadership for USA for UNHCR’s fundraising efforts, building an infrastructure that supports short-¬ and long-¬term goals, including the implementation of all-encompassing partnerships, major gifts and planned giving programs.
• Manage the direct solicitation of major gifts, the planning and execution of fundraising events aimed at major donors and partners, and the pipeline planning and development of a large portfolio of contributors and members stewarded personally or by other senior staff or direct reports.
• Inspire and engage a group of elite donors interested in promoting the refugee cause.
• Initiate a major acquisition drive to develop a high-level membership program and ultimately expand the pool of major gifts and individual donors.
• Deepen relationships with current donors while launching initiatives to identify and target other avenues for major financial contributions, both for restricted and unrestricted purposes.
• Reinforce a culture of philanthropic investment among all stakeholders, from staff to volunteers to donors.
• Guide and support programmatic staff who are engaged with fundraising. Utilize key leaders’ time and talents appropriately with respect to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts.
• Oversee relevant department operations, including gift accounting and acknowledgement, computer system operations, the tracking of gifts and grants, planned gift distributions, donor stewardship, and integration with USA for UNHCR’s data systems.
• Work in close collaboration with the communications department to enhance messaging at all levels of the organization, keeping donors and the public informed, thanked, and involved; providing vehicles for more effective Board communications.
• Foster an environment that rewards new ideas and entrepreneurship, creating a culture that celebrates innovation, builds confidence, encourages teamwork, promotes diversity, and sets clear expectations for future success.
• Plan and carefully manage the Partnerships, Major Gifts and Planned giving budgets, ensuring that funds are spent efficiently and effectively in support of PHR’s mission.
• Liaise and collaborate with the director of communications on all advancement-¬related activities, ensuring USA for UNHCR’s public face is consistent with achieving the organization’s mission and fundraising goals.
• Work collaboratively and in coordination with other departments, including through active participation in the work of the entire CFT. Conduct effective interdepartmental communications and provide regular summaries of relevant development activities to USA for UNHCR directors.
• Develop and implement strategies to take advantage of USA for UNHCR’s Strategic Framework and campaign initiatives.
• Report regularly to the CFT, ELT and Executive Director on outcomes, efforts, and progress toward departments’ goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• At least eight years of managerial experience with exposure to strategic planning, board relations, and formulating/executing successful, comprehensive multi-¬million dollar fundraising programs, including campaigns, major giving, direct mail, and planned giving.
• Bachelor's degree required; relevant master’s degree preferred.
• Proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward individual major gifts. Experience with donor acquisition is preferred.
• Proven ability to identify, cultivate and secure corporate partnerships, cause-related marketing programs and foundations.
• Strong understanding of shared value partnerships and impact investing.
• Proven experience in driving new business.
• Proven experience in account management.
• Goal orientated with strong internal direction and motivation.
• Strong management skills, both strategic and operations, and a demonstrated ability to build, manage, mentor, and motivate an effective team.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior leadership, Board members, staff, and volunteers, providing strong support and inspiring them to productive action.
• Thoughtful and creative problem-solving skills.
• Superior writing skills, as well as strong presentation, marketing and communication skills, with the ability to deal with sensitive human rights issues, directly and passionately, and to translate USA for UNHCR s mission and programs into fundraising initiatives that garner financial support.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-¬paced, diverse, and demanding environment with constantly changing priorities due to newly emerging opportunities.
• Willingness to travel.
• Familiarity with and demonstrated commitment to international human rights is essential.
• Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve highly complex issues
• Consistently demonstrates professional maturity
• Consistently takes the initiative to accomplish work
• Demonstrates the ability to make sound decisions
• Acts as visionary for the department and the organization
• Ability to motivate and empower employees to perform to the best of their abilities
• Ability to be flexible, collaborative and catalytic
• Consistently demonstrates patience
• Demonstrates passion for USA for UNHCR’s mission
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (5-10 lb.); minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment; may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard
• Extended periods of sitting at a workstation or desk and manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and composing of documents
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in a typical office environment. May also involve travel to some locations within the company’s region of operations and select donor locations.
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
USA for UNHCR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Refugees and all other protected classes are encouraged to apply.
Your application was submitted successfully.