The Controller is responsible for managing the general accounting function. Oversees the completion of ledger accounts and financial transactions, as well as, manages accounting staff with direct report to the Chief Financial Officer. Responsibilities also include analyzing trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations. Evaluates and proposes appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes ensuring that practices are in line with the overall goals of the organization. Offers suggestions about resource utilization, assumptions underlying budget forecasts, innovations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage the accuracy, productivity and personnel associated with the day to day activities of accounts payable, accounts receivable, monetary disbursements, invoicing/billing, payroll, fixed asset records, general ledger
• Manage, train, and motivate accounting staff
• Maintain a system of internal controls and segregation of duties within the accounting function
• Interact and manage relationships with outside audit firms, banks and tax preparer
Finance and Accounting:
• Coordinate month-end and year-end close processes, including schedules preparation/review and accounts analysis to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting
• Review monthly bank reconciliations
• Monitor bank balances and daily bank account activity; manage cash flow
• Review accounts payable entries, cash receipt entries, payroll, cost centers allocations
• Review monthly expense reporting
• Oversee accounts receivable collections, business insurance, state registrations
• Coordinate the requests of information to external auditors for annual audit and taxes
• Monitor monthly actuals to budget performance and report significant variances to CFO
• Review contract requirement reporting
• Prepare special reports for UNHCR
The Controller performs other duties/projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in business or finance with accounting concentration
• Active CPA license required
• Minimum 12 years of accounting and financial reporting experience
• Proficient with MS office software (Excel, Word)
• Intacct experience is highly desirable
• Experience with the automated AP and expenses management systems (such as Bill.com, Expensify)
• Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve highly complex issues
• Consistently demonstrates professional maturity
• Consistently takes the initiative to accomplish work
• Demonstrates the ability to make sound decisions
• Acts as visionary for the department and the organization
• Ability to motivate and empower employees to perform to the best of their abilities
• Ability to be flexible, collaborative and catalytic
• Consistently demonstrates patience
• Demonstrates passion for U4U’s mission
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Tasks involve some physical effort, i.e. some standing and walking, or frequent light lifting (5-10 lb.); minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, or body in the operation of office equipment. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard.
• Extended periods of sitting at a workstation or desk and manual dexterity to work efficiently on computer keyboard for data entry and composing of documents.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in a typical office environment. May also involve travel to some locations within the company’s region of operations and select donor locations.
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
USA for UNHCR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Refugees and all other protected classes are encouraged to apply.
Your application was submitted successfully.