The Communications Associate develops external and internal communications and ensures the communications are accurate, on message and meet USA for UNHCR’s high standards set by the Senior Director, Communications and the Executive Director & CEO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the broad organizational content strategy through day-to-day management of content on the USA for UNHCR website, including content development, maintaining a content calendar, monitoring and evaluation and more
- Oversees and implements organization’s organic search engine optimization (SEO) strategy, working collaboratively with other departments and vendors as appropriate
- Collaborates across the organization to ensure each department is updated with latest content and messaging
- Applies various communication strategies to create an impression, raise awareness and encourage a preference and response by the target audience for the organization and its services and brand
- Provides consultative review and editing to internal customers' communications to ensure clarity of message and tone; ensures all communications developed and published by any USA for UNHCR department is accurate and conforms to the USA for UNHCR approved style guide
- Develops communications strategy and materials for annual reports, blog posts, press releases, general website copy, marketing materials, staff meetings, messaging for top-level staff, such as assisting the Executive Director & CEO with keynote speeches and conference presentations
- Interfaces with public via conference presentations, partnership development and interviewing for storytelling; maintains communication with various USA for UNHCR and UNHCR staff and offices
- Analyzes and reports on the effectiveness of communications and content investments and recommends changes in strategy or mix to improve effectiveness
- May contribute to development of consistent and engaging posts and conversations on social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, as appropriate
- Provides input into the creation of marketing communications program budgets and plans
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of related experience; each year of work experience may be substituted for each year of education required
- Applies in-depth professional-level knowledge to independently solve a full range of complex problems
- Previous writing and editing experience required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Content Management Systems (CMS), Umbraco preferred
- Experience with refugee issues or global affairs preferred; former refugees living in the United States are encouraged to apply
- Ability to independently lead a project and serves as a functional SME for department
- Demonstrates creativity, intellectual curiosity and innovation on a consistent basis
- Demonstrates detail orientation and accuracy in all aspects of the job
- Demonstrates the ability to function as a self-manager
- Effectively communicates both verbally and in writing
- Ability to analyze information and make informed decisions
- Ability to collaborate with peers and take direction from leadership to accomplish tasks
- Demonstrates passion, the willingness to go the extra mile, and stellar customer service skills
- Demonstrates passion for USA for UNHCR’s mission
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in a typical office environment. May also involve travel to some locations within the company’s region of operations and select donor locations. **Due to COVID-19 all USA for UNHCR staff are currently working remotely**
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
USA for UNHCR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Refugees and all other protected classes are encouraged to apply.